Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Update 7/27/10

Still feeling good and continuing to read Life Over Cancer by Keith Block, MD, which was recommended by my oncologist. It's making me realize how taking care of oneself...REALLY taking care of oneself is a full time job! I'm supposed to eat healthy foods, seek out mental assistance, see a naturopath, take supplements, exercise more, and rest as needed. I'm barely keeping up with all that and I haven't even thrown work into the mixture yet!

I have started the "pescatarian" portion of my new lifestyle change, as recommended by this book in order to assist my body in fighting the cancer and any possible thought it might have of recurrence. Wikipedia defines "Pescetarianism, also called pesco-vegetarianism, is the practice of a diet that includes seafood and excludes other animals. In addition to fish or shellfish, a pescetarian diet typically includes some or all of vegetables, fruit, nuts, grains, beans, eggs and dairy." I am in the process of slowly phasing out dairy from my diet too, but that's much MUCH more difficult than giving up chicken and beef. No Ice Cream!? No Cheese!? No Way. Well, for the moment, anyway. I also am staying away from refined foods. Dr. Block's preview of the diet explains, "If you eat too much dietary fat and refined carbohydrates, you run the risk of increasing body fat and weight while weakening your immune system and increasing oxidative stress, inflammation, and blood levels of substances that promote tumor growth and angiogenesis. Diets high in fat tend to cause more DNA damage, which allows mutations to accumulate in the cells that make up tumors. The more mutations, the more aggressive the cancer and the more likely it is that malignant cells will survive chemo and radiation and travel through the bloodstream to seed distant sites of your body with cancer. It is no surprise, then, that cancer death rates are generally lower in populations that follow low-fat, vegetable-rich diets." Diet is one small piece that I can control and it seems necessary to implement the recommended changes now. I want to kick this cancer in the ass!

I have scheduled an appointment with a therapist (per several entries ago) through Kaiser and have also been in touch with the Ovarian Cancer Alliance of Oregon and SW Washington (http://ovariancancerosw.org/) which has offered support in numerous ways. Besides offering meetings and resources, they have also put me in touch with another woman around my same age in Vancouver, WA who has gone through Ovarian Cancer. I think it will be helpful to meet and talk with her, since this type of cancer is so unusual in young women. (Yep, I'm still considered young.) Just being able to talk to another 30-something-year-old woman about menopause side-effects (hello hot flashes!) will be nice, let alone having one more branch of support.

I am beginning to focus on a small exercise regiment as well. I have lost most of my muscle tone, but particularly in the abdomen region since that's where the surgery occurred. My main goals at this point are small: focus on posture, breathing, and do a little aerobic exercise every few days (walking mostly for now.) I was so protective of my abdomen after surgery that I have developed more of a hunch and need to focus on straightening my back and using my core muscles. Pilates has taught me (in the past) how to incorporate correct breathing techniques and some abdomen exercises, so I hope to implement those soon too.

The original plan had been to return to work this week per the Surgeon, however my Oncologist had other thoughts about that idea. He would prefer me to stay out of work until after all chemotherapy appointments, but I'm not sure work will be in full agreement with the idea of me staying out through September. I made a compromise with everyone and promised to wait until after my 2nd chemo appointment to see how I feel. My oncologist is afraid that as I go to my next appointment(s), the toxicity will be building in my body and that I may not feel as well, but he is also cautious about the mental toll that this is taking. We have tentatively set my return to work date for August 16th and only part time at that time, but we will also have to wait and see how the next chemo appointment treats me. My co-workers have been GREAT about supporting me during this time - putting together a huge goody basket, offering meals and entertainment, and donating "shared leave" so that my time off has all been paid so far. (There is no short-term disability program through the State - Can you believe that?) The Shared Leave will run out before I return to work, but it has been very kind of them to carry me through this far. Thanks to everyone at ESD!

I continue to have hot flashes incessantly and have had some numbness and tingling in my feet. I have begun to notice my hair falling out rapidly, though I don't see any patches or thinness thankfully. That time will come soon enough though. My boss at work has agreed to help me in the art of head wraps, which I am terribly thankful and excited for. I have always loved the look of head wraps, though have never ventured into the art form myself. I think I'll be able to exhibit some neat styles with grace. Wait, when have I ever been known to be graceful?

As far as needs at the moment - I need healthy recipe suggestions! I've been finding quite a few out there and some people have sent me suggestions, which have been great. Keep 'em coming. I'll need head wrap suggestions too. I also would like a comment on these posts from you. WHO are you? Give me some feedback, comments...even just a quick hello is appreciated!

5 comments:

  1. Hey I love the pics and glad to see you having fun with the new hair do!
    I will consult with my vegetarian friends to see if I can find you some healthy recipes..I have been trying to eat better but I am just a raw veggie and fruit fan (cause I am a snacker)...I should probably find some good receipes for us both to enjoy!
    I can't give you any wrap suggestions - but I have confidence that you will make it stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know that song by Metallica, Sanitarium? I changed the lyrics: VEG-E-TARIAN! LEAVE MEAT BE! VEG-E-TARIAN! JUST LEAVE MEAT ALONE!

    I'll have to write down some good veg recipes for you. See, we just make things up with what we've got in the fridge/pantry.

    Plus, I'll have to tell you a story about your last post - great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea how to do head wraps, but I have hats planned that will be winging their way to you soon!

    Have you checked into yoga classes at all? I *think* but can't remember for certain that I've seen some specifically for cancer recovery. Even if they aren't specific, a gentle yoga class would definitely focus on posture and breathing. I couldn't live without my vinyasa yoga!

    Oh, another easy, whole foods, veggie dinner: roast a cookie tray full of whatever vegetables you have (root veggies, tomatoes, peppers, leeks, broccoli, onions, squash, whatev) tossed with some olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. While they roast cook a pot of grains - brown rice, farro, quinoa, or whatever you like. (Actually do it in the reverse order - start the grain cooking first before preparing the vegetables so that they're done at the same time.) Pile some fresh mixed greens on a plate, put the cooked grains over that, and then the roasted veggies on top. I like to add a bit of tahini dressing, toasted nuts, dried cranberries, avocado, maybe some feta. Maybe even fresh citrus in the winter. Whatever I happen to have, it all gets piled together! Super easy and satisfying. This is my typical weeknight dinner all fall and winter.

    I added you to my feed reader so I won't miss your posts, even though I may get to them a few days late....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rae,

    Thanks for updating us.

    I have to tell you, with my "years of tenure" experience, don't worry about work. Work is work and that is all it is. You make great friends there but the work itself is just a paycheck. Brian has a good job. With what you are going through, the last thing you need to worry about is a job and "hurrying back". You have 50 more years to work my friend. The only exception to that would be if you are bored at home and really miss doing it. You can downsize in many ways. Yes, this is from Judy,the "employee of the month" in pretty much every job I have ever worked. But in hindsight, the times I missed Lilly's basketball games, and so forth, just to be a loyal employee, was not worth it in the least. When I worked for my company (since college), they always kept telling me that they wished they could clone me. Uh, right. Yet they still "needed me" to work Friday nights until 8:00 p.m. after 23 years there. Take work with a grain of salt.

    We eat a lot of fruit but that is the extent of our "great" recipes, ha ha! Years ago, Robert got in 10x better shape by doing one thing different in his diet: for lunch, he started exercising at work, and he ate fruit instead of regular lunch. Not one thing else was different. I was always amazed by how quickly he got in shape by that one change, and that it was done at work.

    See you later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so good to see you yesterday, my friend! I am so proud of you for bearing your thoughts and feelings to the world. Don't worry about work; it would probably just bring you down to be there. I would tell you to stay strong, but you already are. I have no doubts in your ability to get through this. Live. Breathe. Love. Heal.

    ReplyDelete